Friday, March 4, 2016

When Courage Calls - Janette Oke

Title: When Courage Calls (Return to the Canadian West #1)
Author: Janette Oke and Laurel Oke Logan
Pages: 336
Published: 2014
Genre: Christian fiction, Historical Fiction, Romance
Edition: E-book
Source: Library

Description: When new schoolteacher Beth Thatcher is assigned a post in a remote mining community, her courage--and her heart--will be tested in unexpected ways. (via Goodreads)

Thoughts: This was a palate cleanser of sorts for me and I quite enjoyed the book.  I normally try to avoid Christian fiction books, as I feel that they are too cookie cutter.  And even though this was a typical Christian fiction book, at least for the most part, there were aspects that were interesting.

But it ended up being a fairly typical Christian romance book, especially since most of the characters felt very stock to me and didn't really change that much.

Bottom line: While I felt that the book was adequate and it was nothing earth shattering for me, this would appeal to fans of Jannette Oke and those enjoy Christian romance books.  Recommended, but to a very specific group.

Rating: 2.25/5

No comments:

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...