Saturday, May 30, 2015

Armchair BEA Day 4 - Book to Movie Adaptations

If there is one thing that I enjoy, is watching book to movie adaptations.  There are times in which I don't get to read the book right away, but do eventually do get around to reading the book.

Here are a couple of my favourites:

About a Boy - I did read the book afterwards and the movie was fairly faithful to the book and it was quite enjoyable as a film

Sense and Sensibility - while there are some aspects of the movie adaptation which seem a little far-fetched (one being Emma Thompson playing the role of a character who is probably 15-20 years younger), it is a pretty good adaptation and had a really good cast (Hugh Laurie is in the film and it wasn't until much later that I was able to recognize him in the film).  I didn't even recognize Alan Rickman when I first watched the film, as I remember him being the Sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

Pride and Prejudice (1995) - Probably my favourite adaptation.  Personally I don't care if there are things that are different, I just really like how the miniseries was able to capture the book very well.  And while Kiera Knightly did a good job as Elizabeth in the movie that came out 10 years earlier, I just feel that this is the best adaptation of the book out there.  Doesn't hurt that I began a life-long love with Colin Firth (I have watched a number of his other movies, including A Single Man, which was excellent).

North and South (2004) - Love this miniseries.  Now I don't know how accurate the miniseries to the book and how much was and wasn't included from the book in the miniseries, but I  know that I just find Richard Thorton gorgeous and every summer I will sit down and watch it again.

Jane Eyre (2006) - Having read the book a number of times, I find it a pretty faithful adaptation. There are a few things that are different in the miniseries than what is included in the book, but for the most part it is pretty faithful to the book and enjoy watching it from time to time.

There are others that I could mention, but since I feel the need for a nap, I am going to stop here.

No comments:

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...