Wednesday, October 29, 2014

The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared - Jonas Jonasson

Title: The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared
Author: Jonas Jonasson
Pages (File Size): 384 (2.7 MB)
Published: 2012 (first published 2009)
Challenges: Blogger Summer Reading, E-Book, I Love Libraries
Genre: Fiction
Edition: E-book
Source: Library

Description: After a long and eventful life, Allan Karlsson ends up in a nursing home, believing it to be his last stop. The only problem is that he’ s still in good health, and one day, he turns 100. A big celebration is in the works, but Allan really isn’ t interested (and he’ d like a bit more control over his alcohol consumption). So he decides to escape. He climbs out the window in his slippers and embarks on a hilarious and entirely unexpected journey.

It would be the adventure of a lifetime for anyone else, but Allan has a larger-than-life backstory: Not only has he witnessed some of the most important events of the twentieth century, he has actually played a key role in them. (via Goodreads)

Thoughts: It was an okay book.  I picked up the book because I had heard a lot about the book and thought that I might like it.  While I did enjoy the book at times, I found that it was a slog from time to time and found myself essentially skimming over what I was reading from time to time.  Maybe it was just me, but I found the book to be a bit overhyped and honestly did not see what the fuss was about.

Bottom line: If you are looking for something to read while you are on vacation or on a weekend away, this book is perfect, as it is the sort of book that can probably be read in a few days.  Recommended.

Rating: 3/5

Pages for 2014: 19,733

No comments:

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...