Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Sing You Home - Jodi Picoult

Title: Sing You Home
Author: Jodi Picoult
Pages: 466
Published: 2011
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Rating: 3/5

One miscarriage too many spelled the end of Max and Zoe Baxter's marriage. Though the former couple went quite separate ways, their fates remained entangled: After veering into alcoholism, Max is saved in multiple senses by his fundamentalist conversion; Zoe, for her part, finds healing relief in music therapy and the friendship, then romantic love with Vanessa, her counselor. After Zoe and Vanessa, now married, decide to have a baby, they realize that they must join battle with Max, who objects on both religious and financial grounds. (via Goodreads)


Thoughts: This was the first Jodi Picoult book that I have finished and quite enjoyed it, but to a point.  As an evangelical Christian, I found the evangelical side a little unnerving.  The reason that I found the evangelical side a little too over the top.  I do realize that most evangelicals in the United States feel this way and it plays a larger role in the US than it does in Canada, but it was a little preechy and too over the top as to how Ms. Picoult portrayed the evangelical side and I realize why she did that.  But couldn't there have been a more moderating evangelical point of view?

Another thing that bugged me was that the music CD that came along with the book really didn't have anything to do with the book as a whole.  Granted I only listened to a few of the songs, but I felt the CD didn't really have anything to do with the book.  I would recommend the book to those that like Jodi Picoult books or those who write in a similar manner.



10341 / 15000 pages. 69% done!

1 comment:

Mickey said...

Being very non-religious, I found this book to be one of the best ones I've read this year, and hands down her best novel. She has other books that aren't so religious, so maybe you'll enjoy those. I listened to this as an audio book, so I skipped through all the music. I didn't feel like it added much either. Thanks for the review :o)

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...